Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I live in The Seabrook, a retirement center in coastal South Carolina. I live with senior citizens, all of who are older than I am, some of them by more than 30 years. Many of them don't want to learn about technology--they protest that they are too old to learn new things. For some that is true, but for others they just need the encouragement to try new technology. I am a leader in this community in technology in several ways. When we had a party for all of those people who were over 90 (and there were more than 70 people in that category in a group of 220 or so residents), I took a short video of the party. You can find it on my Facebook Page. There may only be a few who have seen it, but some said how amazed the were at what technology could do.

I have also shown several people my iPhone and the pictures on it. There are those who can't quite change the ink on their printers and ask me for help. Some have been given iPads and Kindles by their children who show what they need to do, but they don't quite remember and turn to me. Even some of the people in the office--who are all younger than I am--need help for the occasional spread sheet. So I am doing what I can to be a leader in a community that is still back in the 20th century in many ways.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cyndy, I never thought of the digital divide having to do with generations---but it makes sense-- Duh! As I think about it -that's what I remember as the original definition. I had read where it has been extended to mean across continents. What a difference. Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndy,
    I've often heard of older people saying that they can't learn about different technologies. My grandmother often calls to ask questions about her computer or things on the internet. I always tell her that she can figure this out if she get on the computer and just play around with it. But she always feel like she's going to mess something up or break something. Oftentimes, it can be hard trying to teach others about different technologies that are available for use. It's great to be a leader in the community where others can turn to you with any questions that they may have.

    ReplyDelete