Thursday, January 28, 2010

Connectivsm

  • How has your network changed the way you learn? I am finding that part of what I learn comes from bouncing ideas off other people. At times, I pose a question to one of the people in my network, and merely posing it helps me to solidify the problem, cogitate the possible answers, and decide a course of action. My mind needs the other person to make meaning, even when the other person does not have answers or ideas to solve the problem. I need my reflected thoughts to bounce back to me to be able to network my brain.
  • Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you? I would be lost without my iPhone. I am so used to finding data at my fingertips, I feel somehow incomplete if I don't have it. But I don't want to compose anything on it. I want my Mac laptop for travel and my HP desktop for home use. However, I still like to books and newspapers in my hands. TV is probably the digital resource I use the least for information-gathering. I have the DVR to record shows and On Demand to find shows that I missed recording, mostly for entertainment.
  • How do you learn new knowledge when you have questions? Gather information, research, whine to my sister, my wikipartners, and my blogmates, reflecting on my own whining, and reorganize to solve the issue.

2 comments:

  1. You have a complete arsenal of digital equipment, as with most of us in this class. Your idea for reflecting off others and eventually coming into an answer for yourself is indeed characteristic of today’s digital way of thinking.

    In connectivism, I feel that the networking not only serves as gathering information from other people with whom you network, but also allows you to voice an idea and build your own knowledge. Now you have created a network of information and can contribute to someone else's network. This is one of the ways in which connectivism is an extension of constructivism. ~~~Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia:

    I would say you are proficient with digital tools because you appear to be comfortable using them. I am currently learning to use digital tools so I will need more practice before I am comfortable using these tools. By the time I become proficient,something else will have replaced them. In the meantime, I am excited to have an opportunity to find out how I can utilize these tools to further my knowledge and share with others as well. I have recently spoken with educators who are not interested in using digital tools and cannot see how these tools can be used to facilitate learning. I have an open mind and I am willing to take baby steps until I feel comfortable using them. I have no plans to write these tools off as worthless and useless, however, I hope some of my peer teachers will join me in utilizing these tools to enhance our students’ academic skills.

    Valeria

    ReplyDelete