Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Using technology with teachers

One of my first experiences with helping people use technology occurred when I was a Title One Resource Teacher for the 1996-1997 school year. We had computers in most of the classrooms, and I was released from classes to help teachers in English and Social Studies to improve their uses of the computers. I remember one older English teacher who told me that his printer did not work. I asked him if he had turned it on. He just looked at me and said, “Turn it on?” as if I had suggested that that he should fly to the moon. Another English teacher used the computer as a door stop. I worked with another teacher who thought that computers were the tools of the devil, and she would not allow her students to touch one. She asked me what someone who felt that way should do in light of the directives to use computers and that taking attendance on the Internet was soon to be mandated. I told her to get another job.

These teachers seemed to have had the attitude that if they ignored the computers, they would simply go away. They did not use them, did not want to, did not think that computers would in any way improve their teaching, and that it was somehow my responsibility to make their responsibility disappear. They did not pay attention to the computers or the inservice workshops I tried to provide, nor did they see the relevance of classroom computers. Because they did not have computers at home, they had no confidence in their ability to use them and covered their lack of confidence with disdain for the very idea of computers. They did not seemed to think that that a) there was any need for them to do things any differently from the way they had always done them, or b) the District would really make the technology work sufficiently well to require the use of the Internet for legal attendance-taking purposes. All of these teachers were gone from the school before the District mandate to use computers for attendance became a reality, so in a way they were right.

If I were in that position again, knowing what I now know, I would have tried to gain their attention by having classroom computer activities more visible to these teachers. One way to do this would be to demonstrate success at department meetings or in small groups. Making computers relevant to those teachers who resisted was another matter. Perhaps showing better student progress in the classes where computer use was consistent might have helped, but my District did not support displaying individual teacher success as indicated by student progress in testing. Many times during the first years that computers were regular class room equipment, we had staff development sessions designed to help teachers develop proficiency and confidence in computer use. But, as the teachers that I mentioned were rather senior teachers, they either did not go to the sessions or ignored what was being presented. They took satisfaction it seemed to me when things went wrong, thereby proving their insistence that computers were never going to be permanent fixtures in schools. I finally took my satisfaction in working with newer teachers who were more receptive to developing uses for computers.

3 comments:

  1. You effectively used the points of the ARCS to get the cooperation of the teachers who were willing to take the plunge. Unfortunately, I am very aware of the balking on the part of the teachers when it comes to new technology. The delaying and stalling is similar to what we see in students when they are afraid of a challenge, hesitant to try something new, and scared to fail.
    It is sad to say it, but sometimes we just have to do like my Superintendant of Schools said when people tried to be stubborn about our influx of technology in the classroom, “change the people or change the people.” It took us some time to understand what he meant, and then we saw certain principals losing their positions and/or being demoted, and we saw teachers being laid off at the first sign of budget cuts. We saw teachers with 30 years of teaching experience on television crying with their little students because they were laid off. After all the dust settled, we understood that he had “changed the people or changed the people.” Certainly those of us like me who had only been with the school district since 2002 felt really bad, but I came in after losing my career as a computer technician for Hewlett Packard. I brought fresh new ideas and computer knowledge to the school district.
    Growth is always painful. ~~C. Penny Penagraph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia:

    I am among those teachers who made the transition from the electronic typewriter to the computer. I remember being so frustrated. During the late 80s and early 90s, I almost resigned because I could not see myself using a machine that was so intimidating. Thankfully, my school district provided professional development for the business teachers who decided to remain on board. We received training by taking new courses each quarter. We also received a stipend as an incentive to complete each course. We were allowed to take a computer home to work at our own pace. Gradually, I started to learn about computers; although it was difficult for me to keep up with constant changes and updates.

    Parents and students were not very comfortable with this new automated machine. Some parents encouraged their children to drop computer class because the children would not need to use computers especially if they planned to attend college. Due to low enrollment for computer courses, I no longer had a job at the school where I had worked for eight years. Fortunately, there was an opening at another high school in this same district because a teacher’s spouse was being transferred out of state.

    I have also witnessed educators and students who are resistance to technology changes. Several decided to take early retirement because they did not want to have to learn how to instruct with computers. Occasionally, I encounter students who sing praises because they enrolled in computer technology before they started college. Those are the occasions when I am happy I decided to remain in the teaching profession and partake of the technology revolution. I am grateful I have an opportunity to instruct students in the digital age.
    P.S. Thank you for the correction.
    Valeria Shanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia,

    I agree with you when you posted about how other teachers reacted when they were asked about why something wasn't working when it came to technology in their classrooms. We all probably could write a book about how people fear using technology in their lesson plans. We can help some, but they have to be willing to except the changes that are being introduced in technology. I can vouch for some of your remarks because I'm going through some similar issues at my current school district.

    MR

    ReplyDelete